Insufficient time to nominate and fully prepare a substitute pilot has made the continuation of the 2010 show season untenable. Air shows at which the Demo Team was scheduled to perform are:
- Wetaskiwin Air Show: Wetaskiwin, Alta., August 6-7
- Abbotsford International Airshow: Abbotsford, B.C., August 13-15
- Windsor International Air Show: Windsor, Ont., August 21-22
- Val dâ€™Or Air Show: Val dâ€™Or, Que., August 28-29
- Canadian International Air Show: Toronto, Ont., September 4-6
- Nova Scotia International Air Show: Shearwater, N.S., September 11-12Â
- California International Airshow: Salinas, CA, October 2-3
- San Francisco Fleet Week: San Francisco, CA, October 9-10
The 2010 Demo Hornet jet crashed and was destroyed on July 23 during a practice session for the Alberta International Airshow in Lethbridge, Alta. Captain Brian Bews, the demo pilot from 425 Tactical Fighter Squadron based at 3 Wing Bagotville, Que., successfully ejected from the aircraft and is currently recovering from the back injury he sustained during the ejection sequence. He is expected to make a full recovery, but is not expected to fly for several months.
â€œIt is unfortunate we will not be able to finish the season,â€ said Brigadier-General Richard Foster, Acting Commander 1 Canadian Air Division, â€œbut we simply cannot and will not rush the preparation of another demo pilot. The well-being of our pilots and their safety will always be the deciding factors in such decisions.â€
The exact cause of the crash is unknown at this time. A Flight Safety investigation is currently underway.
Source and photo: Canadian Armed Forces